View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Annoying extra string in kernel vermagic 

Post Annoying extra string in kernel vermagic
Hi,

I'm a long time Compulab products user (Fit-PC, Fit-
PC2i, TrimSlice) and I'm trying to get my touchscreen work with TrimSlice/Ubuntu.

I have so far found out that I need to download trimslice source release and compile at least usbtouchscreen.ko driver myself, as it doesn't exist in the current release at all.

I managed to compile it, but encountered an annoying issue: in your current release, there's some garbage in the kernel's vermagic string. In console, type "uname -r" and you get something like "2.6.38.3-trimslice-1.01-011637-gc2b2d3e". However, when I download the sources and compile the kernel and modules myself, vermagic string becomes "2.6.38.3-trimslice-1.01". As a result, insmod and modprobe tools fail to install the module because of mismatch in vermagic strings (for some reason modprobe does not install it even if I try to force it).

According to this link (http://old.nabble.com/Weird-strings-in- ... 31863.html), the extra stuff comes when code is cross-compiled from git repository and CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO is set. So, if this is not really needed, please turn it off from later releases, so that compiling drivers as modules becomes easier.

In fact it would be really nice if you would compile most of the relevant drivers and put them at least in your repository, if you don't want to put them in the release package.

UPDATE: Touch screen works now just fine. In "make menuconfig" UI, I carefully changed the LOCALVERSION string to match what "uname -r" gives in trimslice, and recompiled the driver module. Installation then worked. Unfortunately evtouch module is not available anymore in Ubuntu 11.04, so I had to use evdev configuration to swap xy and to calibrate the screen (this is fine otherwise but there's no timing configuration for click versus drag etc.)

Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]